An official army family and MWR Site

School Support Services


School Support Services provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child & Youth Services (CYS), School Support Services features School Liaison Officers (SLOs), who help schools, installations and Families work together for student achievement.

SLOs are your best support in the area of education, schools and military transitions. SLOs are knowledgeable in current education news and policies. They act as the conduit between the school community – including local public school districts, private schools and home school Families – and the installation.

How do they do it? By

  • Helping schools understand the challenges military Families face
  • Informing parents about local school policies
  • Giving Families information about local schools, graduation requirements, after school programs, youth sponsorship and homeschooling
  • Connecting units and schools through partnership initiatives
  • Conducting workshops to help parents navigate educational transition and advocate for their children
  • Providing an array of resources that benefit military youth and improve school experiences
  • Here is an additional resource for returning back to in-person learning. 

Click on the video below to find out even more about School Liaison Officers (SLO). The Facebook Live event was presented by Military OneSource featuring a panel of School Liaison experts from each Service, explaining the benefits of the School Liaison program!

When Do I Need a SLO?

Getting ready to move:

  • Information about your upcoming duty station and educational options in your new community
  • Connection to a youth sponsor who can answer your child’s questions from a youth’s perspective
  • Assistance with the steps to prepare for your children’s departure from their current schools


Once you arrive:

  • Assistance with school registration and transition
  • Help with questions about compliance and solutions regarding the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
  • Two way communication between the school and parent
  • Connection with homeschool co-ops or support groups


During your assignment:

  • Answers to your questions about schools, homeschooling, special education, scholarships, transitions and more.
  • Parent education opportunities about college and career readiness, preparing for transition and the Interstate Compact 

To ease the transition, contact your SLO as soon as you get orders.

  • School Transition Support - Integration of military children into the local school systems.  School Liaison Office (SL)) School Transition Assistance Form (Printable PDF)
  • Youth Sponsorship- Provides sponsors for family members in grades kindergarten-12th grade.
  • Installation/School Communication - Representative for issues involving public schools and the military.
  • Education Summit Issues - Youth education initiatives, legislation impacting youth education, etc.
  • Interactive Counseling Centers - This system allows students to hold video-teleconferences with teachers, counselors and other school personnel at schools they are transitioning to.
  • Partners in Education (PIE) - Coordinate partnerships between the community and installation.
  • Post Secondary Opportunities - Assist in preparing youth for the transition from high school to work/college.
Finding a School

Finding a new school and registering your child can be confusing. 

We can help.

Our SLOs give you information on local schools so you can find the best fit for you and your family.   They can also help you with everything you need to register – and can answer other questions, too. Contact our office and to get more detailed information.

Research-based Characteristics of Quality Schools 

Most schools share fundamental characteristics that prepare students for the future. Research shows that the most effective schools are more alike than they are different. Here is some information about what to look for in quality schools:

Zoning and Transportation and School Delays and Closings

On-Post School Registration Information:

New students may register at all Fort Campbell schools, Monday - Friday from 0800-1500 during the summer. Please call the school or visit the website prior to registration for information.

For additional information, please call Fort Campbell Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS) at +1 (270)439-1927 or complete the on-line pre-registration process for DODEA.

Online Pre-Registration  (Use if this is the 1st time you are registering your child(ren) in on post schools.)

Early Enrollment Information
The Headquarters for Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS) has allowed Fort Campbell to extend a waiver for parents to enroll their children at a post school if they know they will be moving on post in 90 school days. Parents must request and receive a school letter from Campbell Crossing, LLC to enable them to enroll in on post schools.

Returning Students

The following forms are provided for your convenience, to complete and bring with you to your school's registration event:

 Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS)


  • DoDEA Americas Schools
  • DDESS Guam Schools

Eligibility within territories, possessions and commonwealths of the United States.

Eligibility to attend DDESS schools is outlined in Section 2164 of title 10, United States Code and Department of Defense Instruction (DoDI) 1342.26, "Eligibility Requirements for Minor Dependents to Attend Department of Defense Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools." The following information summarizes the eligibility criteria.


Students are eligible to attend on a tuition-free basis if they are dependents of:

  • military and civilian employees of DoD living on the installation.
  • military members on active duty, stationed or home-ported in the territory, possession, or commonwealth and not residing in permanent quarters.
  • military members on active duty who have been assigned to a remote location or unaccompanied tour of duty and their dependents have been authorized by designated location move orders to reside in the territory, possession, or commonwealth.
  • full-time DoD civilian employees, occupying a position that is subject by policy and practice to transfer in a territory, possession, or commonwealth and not residing in government quarters.
  • full-time, permanent, professional excepted service employees of the DDESS Arrangement not residing in permanent quarters on a military installation.

*DoD Contractors are not eligible to attend DDESS


Dependent children of full-time civilian employees of non-DoD Federal agencies (whether they are or are not residing in government quarters), IF the employing agency certifies that they occupy a position that is subject by policy and practice to transfer in a territory, possession, or commonwealth AND THE EMPLOYING AGENCY AGREES to reimburse the DoD for the educational services provided.

Note: DDESS schools are not authorized to accept tuition payments from individuals.

Note: Residence in permanent living quarters on a military installation served by a DDESS school program does NOT guarantee eligibility to attend the DDESS schools.  Sponsors are required to meet the criteria listed above, regardless of residence.  DDESS is not authorized to enroll students whose sponsor does not meet the eligibility criteria. 

Cam Regulation 420-3 – 1 April 2014 States:
School enrollment.  To be eligible to enroll a child in school, parents must reside on post or be forecasted to be offered on-post Family housing within 90 school days of the new school term.
School Enrollment: To be eligible to enroll a child in on-post schools, the sponsor must reside in permanent on post Family housing. Provisional enrollment will be considered for children whose sponsors have been issued a letter from the Campbell Crossing LLC (CCLLC) Leasing Office affirming that the sponsor has applied for and will be able to occupy on-post Family Housing within (90) school days of the sponsor reporting to Fort Campbell. If a Provisional School Letter is not re-quested within (30) days of reporting to Fort Campbell, CCLLC will not issue the letter to a Service Member until a lease has been signed and keys accepted for on-post Family Housing.

Thinking About College?
Check out  With your free account, you will have access to SAT & ACT Essentials, including practice tests, detailed score reports, video lessons, practice drills and admissions advice; Essay Review where you can connect with a tutor to help you draft or organize a college application or scholarshop essay; 24/7 one-to-one homework help in 40+ subjects, including AP classes, to help you maintain or reach a higher GPA.

Fort Campbell Schools


Admin Office

+1 (270)439-3790



+1 (270)439-1033


School Bus Transportation

+1 (931)431-6213


Barkley Elementary (Pre-K - 5)

+1 (270)439-1951


Barsanti Elementary (Pre-K - 5)

+1 (270)640-1213


Marshall Elementary (Pre-K - 5)

+1 (270)439-3793


Andre Lucas Elementary (Pre-K - 5)

+1 (931)640-1208


Mahaffey Middle School (6 - 8)

+1 (270)640-1215


Fort Campbell High School (9 - 12)

+1 (931)640-1219

Off Post Registration Information:

Registration for off-post schools will begin approximately two weeks prior to the start of the school year or you can look at the school webpage for on line registration (Clarksville and Christian County).

Tennessee School Districts

Clarksville/Montgomery County +1(931)642-5600
Stewart County +1 (931)232-5176
Cheatham County +1 (615)792-5664

Kentucky School Disticts

Christian County +1 (270)887-1300
Todd County +1 (270)265-2436
Trigg County +1 (270)552-6075
Local Education Information

Clarksville Montgomery County Schools
Christian County Public Schools
On-Post Schools
     DoDEA Online Registration for Students Information Flyer (.pdf)
Austin Peay State University
Glen English Army Education Center

Private school information is available by calling your School Support Office.

Tennessee Enrollment and Registration Requirements

New to Clarksville-Montgomery County Schools, or are transferring between schools, enroll online by visiting 

To complete the enrollment process, parents will need to present necessary documents to their zoned school:

  • A birth certificate or other proof of date of birth. State law requires that a copy of a student’s birth certificate be in their cumulative folder. Schools can accept other proof of date of birth for registration, but the parent/guardian needs to provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate.
  • Student's Tennessee Immunization Record - Please see the state of TN immunization requirements.
  • A complete medical exam is required for all Pre-K enrollees.  Evidence of completed exam must be presented upon registration.  A medical exam is recommended for all students grades K-12 at time of registration.  See the Health Services page for more information.
  • Proof of Custody (if requested by school)
  • Two (2) Proofs of Residence (Example: water bill, electric bill, lease agreement, or other residency, etc.) Other residency information may be requested by the school.
  • Power of Attorney For Care of a Minor Child form (required in certain circumstances)

Kindergarten and Pre-K information:

Pre-K classrooms are currently offered at 17 schools in the district: Barksdale, Byrns Darden, Cumberland Heights, Glenellen, Hazelwood, Kenwood, Liberty, Minglewood, Montgomery Central, Moore Magnet, Norman Smith, Northeast, Ringgold, Rossview, St. Bethlehem, West Creek, and Woodlawn Elementary Schools. For information about Pre-K programs and how to register your child, contact Theressa Powell at +1 (931)648-5653 ext. 1005 or

Incoming Kindergartners will need the following documentation for registration: birth certificate, immunization records, and evidence of a complete medical exam. Other documentation may be requested by the school.

According to the State Department of Education, children entering kindergarten shall be five (5) years of age on or before August 15.

For families with students who have never attended Clarksville Montgomery County Schools, parents can begin the PRE-registration process online.

To complete the pre-registration process, parents may need to go to their zoned school with necessary documents:
A birth certificate or other proof of date of birth (State law requires that a copy of a student’s birth certificate be in their cumulative folder. Schools can accept other proof of date of birth for registration, but the parent/guardian needs to provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate.

Student's Tennessee Immunization Record:

A complete medical exam for the first-time enrollee is required. (Evidence of completed exam must be presented upon registration). See the Health Services page for more information.
Two (2) proof of residence documents (Example: water bill, electric bill, lease agreement, etc.) - Other residency information also may be requested by the school.
Proof of Custody (if requested by school)- Power of Attorney For Care of a Minor Child form (required in certain circumstances.)  Custody documents are required on a case-by-case basis.

The Tennessee Department of Health has issued new immunization requirements, and a new Official Certificate that is required for entry into school. These changes went into effect July 1, 2010.

For all students:

  • Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis (DTaP, or DT if appropriate)
  • Hepatitis B (HBV)
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (2 doses of each, usually given together as MMR)
  • Poliomyelitis (IPV or OPV) – final dose on or after the 4th birthday now required
  • Varicella (2 doses or history of disease): previously only one dose was required
  • Hepatitis A – total of 2 doses, spaced at least 6 months apart

For incoming seventh grade students:

  • Documentation of Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis Booster (Tdap) – not required if a Td booster dose has been given less than 5 years before 7th grade entry
  • Verification of immunity of varicella (Chicken Pox) – 2 doses or history of disease

Tennessee state law requires facilities to accept only the Official Certificate of Immunization.

Kentucky Enrollment Requirements

Parents of a student entering preschool/ kindergarten, sixth grade, or transferring into the Christian County Public School System for the 2019-20 school year, must comply with the needed documentation and requirements of Kentucky State Regulations. These requirements are strictly enforced.

 Each student enrolling must present:

  • Certified Birth Certificate
  • Student’s Social Security Card or copy of the card
  • Three proofs of residence (as stated in Board Policy 09.11) AND either a copy of property deed or rental/lease agreement or two utility bills.
  • Kentucky Eye Exam by ophthalmologist or optometrist-not an eye screening (for initial entry into a Kentucky School ages 3-6)
  • Dental screening or examination (for initial entry into a Kentucky School ages 5-6)
  • An up-to-date Immunization Certificate on a Kentucky form
  • A second MMR, complete Hepatitis B series, and a chicken pox vaccination
  • Copy of a recent Preventative Health Care Examination form

Kindergarten students must present these items on registration day:

  • Current Kentucky immunization certificate
  • Copy of the birth certificate
  • Copy of the Social Security card number
  • Proof of an eye examination – not an eye screening – conducted by an optometrist or ophthalmologist, and proof of physical examination on a form provided by the Kentucky Department of Education

A student must be 5 years of age by August 1 of the 2019-20 school year before entering Kindergarten.  A child who is 6 years old or who turns 6 by August 1, must attend public school.  A child who is 5 years old or who will turn 5 by August 1 will be able to enroll in primary school. 

Preschool programs are available for eligible 3- and 4-year-old children as well.

Kentucky law KRS 156.160(l) requires proof of a dental screening or examination by a dentist, dental hygienist, physician, registered nurse, advanced registered nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. This evidence must be presented to the school no later than Jan. 1 of the first year that a 5- or 6-year-old child is enrolled in public school.

Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find information about the resources available in your school district. We can also help you connect with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office.

Clarksville Montgomery County Schools
The Clarksville-Montgomery County School System follows federal laws and regulation implementing special education. In addition it is subject to the rules and regulations of the Clarksville-Montgomery County School Board, the State Board of Education for the State of Tennessee, and the Tennessee State Department of Education. While federal rules and regulations remain consistent from state to state, those same regulations require each state to develop its own set of regulations governing the identification and service of students with disabilities. The result of these differences between states may impact the identification and service of your child.
CMCSS Special Education Services (.pdf)

Christian County Schools
Christian County School System complies with Federal Regulations regarding services for students requiring special education. While Federal regulations are consistent from state to state, each state has developed its own regulations governing the identification and services for students with disabilities. As a result, the differences between states may impact the identification and services for students transferring into Christian County’s District.
Christian County Special Education(.pdf)

Fort Campbell Schools
Welcome to the Fort Campbell Schools. Together with Fort Knox, we form the Kentucky District of the Domestic Dependents’ Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS). The Fort Campbell community currently (SY 2019-20) has 4 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and 1 high school. The DDESS Area Support Center for the domestic schools is located in Peachtree City, Georgia. All of the DDESS schools are part of the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) school system which has schools throughout the world.
Fort Campbell Special Education(.pdf)

Additional References & Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a) evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for Families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer. The United State Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services outlines these requirements for State Directors of Special Education. 

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers parent education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to appropriately advocate for their children, proactively supporting personal accountability. Funded by OSEP.

Military OneSource has a range of resources in caring for a family member with special needs: education, health care, legal, financial, points of contact (EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.)

Military Community & Family Policy-Office of Special Needs provides directory of age-specific resources and States at a Glance for state education special education resources and parent resources.

DirectSTEP provides no-cost, Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics such as understanding federal requirements, best practices for behavior management, IDEA eligibility, IEPs and more. Through the eCourses parents and educators learn how to apply education laws in order to obtain positive outcomes associated with critical education issues. Access the course listing and registration page through the links below.

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration

Home School

Home schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.


Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

The School Liaison Officers will provide to home school Families information regarding Home School resources and our local support contacts.

For more information please contact the School Liaison Officers:   
School Support Services
79 Bastogne Avenue
Phone: (270) 798-9874

Tennessee State Requirements:

Parents/legal guardians who plan to conduct independent home schools in Tennessee during the school year must notify their local public school superintendent. 

Clarksville/Montgomery Public School District:
CMCSS Central Office
621 Gracey Avenue
Clarksville, Tennessee 37040
(931) 648-5600

Kentucky State Requirements:

Trigg County Public School District Home School Requirements:

Parents/legal guardians who plan to conduct independent home schools in Cadiz, Kentucky during the school year must notify their local public school superintendent. 

Trigg County Public Schools
202 Main Street
Cadiz, KY 42211
Questions: Phone: (270) 522-6075

Todd County Public Schools Home School Requirements:

Parents/legal guardians who plan to conduct independent home schools in Elkton, Kentucky during the school year must notify their local public school assistant superintendent. 

Todd County Public School District:
205 Airport Road
Elkton, KY 42220

The School Liaison Officers will provide to home school Families information regarding Home School resources and are support contacts.

For more information please contact the School Liaison Officers:   
School Support Services
79 Bastogne Avenue
Phone: (270) 798-9874

Laquvia Garrett at
Karen Watkins-Diouf at
Phone: +1 (270)798-9874

Youth Sponsorship

About Youth Sponsorship

Just arrived at Fort Campbell? Getting ready to move and wondering about Fort Campbell? If you want to learn more about Fort Campbell and Child & Youth School Services, Youth Sponsorship Program can help you. We provide a sponsor for family members in grades Kindergarten - 12th grade. Let us help make your transition a lot more smoother. Youth Sponsorship helps relocated youth to become familiar with the Fort Campbell community. Sponsors are matched to youth according to their gender, age, and interests. The sponsors escort incoming youth around the post, school area, and to the Child and Youth Service Centers. They introduce the new arrival to others within their age/grade level and to the various activities. There are "Hail and Farewell" activities for the newly arrived and the soon to depart youth. These social functions assist in making new friends and saying good-bye to old ones.

Contact Information

For more information or a youth sponsor request, please contact:

Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:


Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.


The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All 50 states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year.

If you feel that you have an issue that the Compact can help address talk with your SLO.  The SLO is able to assist by connecting with both the sending and receiving school to assist in resolving the issue.  If it is not possible to resolve the issue locally, the SLO will help you work with the state commission, and if needed, the national office.

Post - Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with elementary education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.


The US Department of Veteran’s Affairs provides information about Military-Specific and Government Academic Support G.I. Bill

The Transferability of Educational Benefits for the Post 9/11 GI Bill are very specific. The Defense Manpower Data Center, through MilConnect will guide you through the transfer process and your eligibility to do so.  Speak with an Education Counselor prior to making this election in order to ensure you understand the benefit.

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service-members, active duty for a period of more than 30 days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service-member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965 (pdf) apply.


Here are some additional web resources to assist you with your child’s education:


Academic Resources: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than 40 core subjects and standardized test preparation.

Homework Support: Army Child Youth & School Services provides Homework Labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center.


Khan Academy:

A personalized learning resource for all ages Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, SAT and more.    


Support/Resilience Resources:

School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.


Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free nonmedical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child, Youth and School Services programs, and in highly impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free nonmedical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, on the phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Ready and Resilient Workshops for youth and educators are offered through the SLO and Youth Center programs. These workshops provide educators and students with the same tools Soldiers receive through their Ready and Resilient training. As Master Resilience Trainers SLOs strive to develop a common language around resilience for educators, youth and their parents.

For information on how to attend a class contact your local SLO.


College and Career Readiness Resources:

College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in postsecondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework. These links have tools that will help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:


Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP) provides STEM opportunities for military connected youth. The website provides information about AEOP programs available to youth, scholarship opportunities, news, and ways to get involved. Scholarship Finder provides a search engine to help you find money for your child’s higher education needs. Search over 1000 scholarships intended for military youth. They also have a Military Scholarship Handbook.

School Support Services Scholarship Database Listing of crowd sourced scholarships for military connected youth. Scholarships are listed in alphabetical order and provide information on deadlines and qualifications.


 Financial Aid

Provides a description of federal student aid programs from the U.S. Dept. of Education  and how to apply for them.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply for federally funded financial assistance for education beyond high school.

Get Ready for College - College Planning, Financial Aid






Frequently Asked Questions

Can my child attend school on post if I live off post?
Yes! Students who live off post may enroll in the Fort Campbell schools if sponsor’s assignment to family quarters is made within 90 school days. Upon parent request, the housing office must provide a written statement. Students will be subject to dis-enrollment unless the sponsor provides proof of occupancy in on-post housing in this 90 school day period. However, the family must provide transportation to and from school.

Can I choose which off post school my child will attend?
The off post school districts require a student to attend the school designated for his or her residence. Most off post districts do not allow children to move out of the assigned school. However, some districts have developed a limited school-of-choice or open enrollment policy for students who wish to attend a school or program outside the area for which they are zoned. Applications for such request are usually offered at one specific time of the year. In most cases, attendance zone exceptions are limited by space including program space availability in the receiving school. Contact your local school district for specifics. 

Which school is the best to attend?
Each parent and child must decide which school is best for them. This decision is best made by visiting prospective schools, researching the schools via their web page, and talking to teachers, children, and administrators. Since your street address designates where your child will attend school, we recommend you shop for a school before you shop for a house.

Where can I find more information about the local schools?
Each school district has a web page where you can research test scores, school safety, and teacher-pupil ratio. The majority of students in the Fort Campbell area attend the following school districts:

Fort Campbell Community Schools

Clarksville/Montgomery County School District

Christian County School District

Stewart Count School District

Todd County School District

Trigg County School District

Cheatham County School District

Kentucky School Districts

Tennessee School Districts

More Child & Youth Services


Parents' Night Out

Need an evening without the kids? Parents' Night Out gives you the opportunity to take a well-deserved break! Children must be registered with CYS prior to participating in this program.

Mar 2 6 pm - 11 pm

Parents' Day Out

Need a day without the kids? Parents' Day Out gives you the opportunity to take a well-deserved break! Children must be registered with CYS prior to participating in this program.

Mar 16 9 am - 4 pm